Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Learning to drive a tractor & other farm vehicles

LOOK OUT! There's a tree in my way!!. We lost 2 trees learning how to navigate a tractor in the orchard. Everytime I get on the tractor I keep hearing a little jingle in my head from the old TV show "Green Acres". When we rescued a dog from the animal shelter I was tempted to name him Arnold.

Actually, the first time I got on the tractor was to steer it out of the mud while Rick towed it with another tractor. Just one of those little things you learn the hard way. But since then, I have learned how to operate the tractor. I can now say that I can pick up yard waste, drive it to the burn pile and dump it. Rick is trying to get me to use the sweeper and harvester... but I've held my ground!! There are some things this lady won't do. (sigh) I'll probably learn how to do both this harvest time.

I learned how to drive an ATV...now that's fun. I did get some "air" time.. but that was quite by accident, but quite exhilarating. I'll probably never try that stunt again!

I had to tow the longest thing ever for over 10 miles on a fairly busy roadway. I was towing a conveyor from the hullers to our house. Sooo, if you ever shake your fist at a slow moving truck towing a conveyor, it's probably me.

No comments: